Scholarship opportunities for our members!
Do you or someone you know need money for college? Our Scholarship Program is awarding a total of $2,000 in scholarships! Let us help you achieve your dreams! If you’re not yet a member, now’s a good time to join.
To QUALIFY, applicants need to be:
1. A member of Ukrainian Selfreliance Michigan Federal Credit Union with his or her own Checking Account (newly-opened or existing). Applicant must have a checking account at the time of submitting the application.
- Not yet a member?
- Come into the Warren branch to open your account.
- Must bring a valid Driver's License or State ID, Social Security Card and an additional form of ID. See alternative documents. Contact our member services representative, Uliana, if you have any account opening questions. (586) 756 - 3300 ext. 237
- Have a savings, but don’t have a Checking Account?
- Contact Uliana to open a checking account. (586) 756 - 3300 ext.237
2. Attending a Michigan college or university for the winter-spring semesters of 2021 (6 credits minimum). All levels accepted: Undergraduate and Master's.
- Applicant must show proof of enrollment by sending an unofficial transcript and/or schedule of enrolled classes. Upload your documents into the application or email/mail to the provided addresses.
If qualifications are met, applicant must submit all required attachments with application (see Instructions). Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
USMFCU employees, Board of Directors, Supervisory Committee and their families are NOT eligible for this scholarship. Applicant must meet membership eligibility requirements. Applicant must live in Michigan and be enrolled/attending a Michigan college or university for the winter-spring semesters of 2021. If the number of eligible applicants is insufficient, the credit union reserves the right to not offer all of the awards.
Prize Disclaimer: Total of 3 students can win the prizes, winners will be personally contacted and announced on this page and on social media platforms. Winners will be asked to submit a photo for use on our website and/or social media outlets. Scholarship awards will be deposited directly to the recipient’s credit union account. The award is to provide financial assistance to the recipient in their pursuit of an undergraduate or graduate degree. The award money shall be used for the student’s tuition, fees, books, or other school fees. Recipients are responsible for taxes, if any, that may be assessed against their scholarship award. We recommend consulting your tax advisor or visiting the IRS website at irs.gov for more information. For tax purposes, we recommend to save your receipts for books, fees, or supplies for which the scholarship funds are used.
- REQUIRED: Fully complete the application.
- REQUIRED: Attach an essay OR send a video (see Essay or Video)
- REQUIRED: Attach enrollment verification supportive documents with application or email/mail to provided address. (See Scholarship Application Summary)
Scholarship entry packet must be submitted, emailed or postmarked by December 16th, 2020. Entries postmarked after that date will be ineligible. Finalists selected will be contacted by Wednesday, December 23, 2020.
Essay or Video
All applications must include a typed essay OR a video entry. You must answer the three (3) required questions, and for the third question, you can choose from three options. If you feel more comfortable speaking Ukrainian, you may speak Ukrainian in the video only. We can't wait to see what you come up with!
- Required: How do you think about money, banking, finances?
- Required: How can the credit union better engage with a younger demographic? (Think of yourself, what would you like to see more of)
- Required: (Please choose one option)
- Option 1: What avenues of communication do you prefer for learning banking information?
- Option 2: How will you use the products and services of USMFCU to budget during college?
- Option 3: What would help YOU learn more about banking? (For example: Free educational seminars, more blogs, tips on our credit union page,etc)
- The essay is between 500 and 750 words.
- Minimum 3 sentences per question.
- The essay is typed, double spaced using 12 pt font.
- Visuals are permitted.
- The essay has a title, your first and last name in the header.
- Upload your essay in a Word (.DOC(X)) or PDF online when submitting the application or sending it seperately over email/mail.
- Please attach a 5-10 minute video answering the same required questions. Bonus points for creativity if you use visuals.
- Video submissions cannot be mailed. Video submissions are accepted over email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can email the video if size permits or by emailing a link to your video. (For example: Youtube, dropbox, etc)
Scholarship Application Summary
Please be sure to fully complete the application and upload any required additional information. Any attachments that are not uploaded into the application, you can email or mail to the provided addresses below. Any applications that are not fully completed or do not include the required attachments by the deadline will be ineligible.
Send or upload completed materials no later than December 16th, 2020.
Email to: email@example.com (preferred)
Or mail to: Ukrainian Selfreliance MI FCU Attn: Scholarships, 26791 Ryan Rd, Warren, MI 48091.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Do I need to be a full-time student in order to be eligible for the scholarship?
- No, part-time students are also eligible for the scholarship. You must be taking at least 6 credit hours to be eligible. We understand that everyone's situation is different and not everyone is able to enroll into school full-time.
I am not able to enroll for my winter semester classes yet to provide proof of enrollment, what can I do?
- We understand that every school has specific times when students can register for classes. That is why the deadline is on December 16th, 2020. You can still complete your application, send in your essay or video, and send your unofficial transcript or supporting documents to show that you are planning to attend the college or university for the winter semester. You can then send the list of enrolled classes by December 16th, 2020. If you are having trouble obtaining this information, please reach out to Olga, our marketing specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am a junior or senior in high school and would like to apply for future scholarships.
- Simply email us your full name, phone number, email address, high school you are currently attending and the name of the school/schools you are planning to attend once you graduate. We will save your information and will immediately contact you when we have future scholarship opportunities. Email the requested information to Olga, our marketing specialist at email@example.com.
I am currently away at school, and am not able to come into the credit union to open an account or open a checking account. What can I do?
- Contact our member services representative, Uliana at (586) 756 - 3300 ext. 237 to discuss options.
Go to main navigation